Colorado Trail Runs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wrenching party in Grand Junction

3 posters

Go down

Wrenching party in Grand Junction Empty Wrenching party in Grand Junction

Post by grandjunktion Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi,

I have a 2 dr jk rubicon that I am going to add the 2.5" Teraflex spring lift to in the next couple of weeks and could use some help as this is my first kit install. Anyone interested in helping out? Definitely all the free beer you can drink and maybe I'll throw some meat on the smoker for some grub. I have a two car garage with a mechanic's pit that I plan on using. I will need to get some more jack stands and a taller floor jack to help unless someone is willing to loan some tools out.

grandjunktion

Back to top Go down

Wrenching party in Grand Junction Empty Re: Wrenching party in Grand Junction

Post by Walt Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:49 am

Might beable to make something work. Have 4 jackstands, also need to swap my front springs out so maybe would could help each other out.
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by grandjunktion Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:06 am

That would be great Walt. I am still waiting for the kit to arrive which hopefully is later this week. I am still trying to round up a good jack. I have four jack stands as well but they are pretty short. My schedule is pretty wide open as to when as I am currently laid off, but want to get this done ASAP so I can get wheeling soon.

grandjunktion

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

My jack stands are 17 inches. Might beable to come up with a floor jack. Also I don't work Fridays so that might be a good day.
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by grandjunktion Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 am

Mine are too. I just bought 2 more at Harbor Freight. I also checked out a local rental company to see about a good floor jack. They have one that lifts 19-1/2", which I don't mind renting. I'm also not opposed to buying one but am not sure how tall would be necessary. Any ideas? have you installed lifts before?

grandjunktion

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 pm

I've never done a lift, or any suspension work, other than changing shocks.
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Doing the lift is pretty easy, just takes some time. Loosen all the control arm brackets, undo the track bar, sway bar links and shocks so the axle can fully droop, swap the springs and any other components, probably a rear track bar bracket (Make sure you have the right drill bit) If its Teraflex triple check you have the template for drilling on right.

It can be challenging supporting a Jeep from the frame with jack stands, I usually will use normal jack stands and some bricks to get extra height.

Leave all the control arms loose and track bar un-done until the tires are back on and the weight is on the suspension. Shake or rock the jeep back and forth to get the control arm bushings loosen up then torque the arms and track bars to spec.
coluke
coluke

http://www.cotrailruns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by grandjunktion Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:05 am

Thanks for the advice Luke, especially the template checking since I will be installing the Teraflex kit. I am still a bit nervious about it but want to learn more about my Jeep through the install. I also read & plan on pre-PB blasting all bolts for easy removal and replacement of the trackbar & lower control arm hardware with 9/16 - Grade 8 bolts from Fastenal to eliminate the possibility of the feared Death Wobble. Northridge & others sell kits for ~ $45 but I am hoping to get it cheaper. I need to research this more & purchase them.

As for tools, I just spent +$200 at Harbor Freight for a floor jack (max 19-3/4"), 6-ton jack stands (2- with max height ~ 23"), metric sockets & box end wrenches & a creeper. I also have a bunch of timbers laying around that can be utilized along with a small (~6 x 4') 4' deep mechanic's pit in my garage.

My kit arrived the other day and I am anxious to get started but want to be fully prepared. I am thinking next Friday (2/28) might be a good wrenching day, if Walt is willing to come over to have a go at it. I'd like to start early to have amble time to overcome any challenges that might arise & allow time for both installs.

How does this sound? Luke you are welcome to come as well if you have the time and willing to make the drive. It certainly would be helpful to have a more experienced mechanic to help. I can make it worthwhile by at least providing all you can eat BBQ & drinks.

grandjunktion

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am

Next Fri works. I'll PM you my #. Will you be home home alone (should I keep wife at home or have her tag along).
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:18 am

I will see what I can do Friday... I did the 9/16 bolts from Fastenal I think I ended up paying about 60 bucks!! The northridge kit is cheaper, but I bought them out here in Glenwood so you might get better prices in Junction... Also they were short a few bolts so I had to go to another store.
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by grandjunktion Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks so much guys. PM's have been sent with my contact info.

I think I'll just order the Northridge kit since it's apparently cheaper and I certainly don't want to have to be short a few bolts.

If you guys have a creeper you might want to bring it along since I only have one that I bought from Harbor Freight yesterday for $25 with a coupon. My garage is old but has a concrete floor which I swept up & blew out but is still dirty.

I almost forgot, I plan on borrowing a torque wrench from AutoZone or Napa to help out.

Walt you are more than welcome to bring your wife if you'd like. My girlfriend works from 7-4 during the day with lunch at 12-1PM. She'll be around outside of those hours and is willing to help out as needed.

Also taking requests for food and drinks. I'm thinking about smoking up some ribs but am open to any suggestions.

grandjunktion

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:01 pm

I've got a torque wrench
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 pm

3/8 drive 5-80 ft lbs
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by grandjunktion Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am

That's great Walt. I also just bought one yesterday from Harbor Freight for $10 which is a 1/2" drive and goes up to ~ 180 foot lbs. I figured I might need one later to insure the bolts remain torqued properly. I have all the sockets and wrenches needed but some are 3/8" so please bring your wrench. I also printed out a torque chart so we won't have to spend time looking for the specs.

grandjunktion

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Don't think I am going to make it, had a crazy day at work today that is going to leave me buried in paper work and my Jeep is in pieces since I am trying to finish the sleeves and gussets before next weeks run.  Again if you run into issues please give me a call I will do my best to point you in the right direction.
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:43 am

Need some help Sat or Sun Lucas?
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Walt,

I would love an extra hand but the problem is I have no set time I am going to be working on it, its going to be a little bit here and there. I am just hoping I can get it done by Sunday night since I will be back at work M-F this week and I am planning to possibly head out to Moab Friday night to camp... I need to test out my heater setup first with the new camper top to see if it will be comfortable to camp. Looks like the low will be 32.
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:14 pm

Well, you got my number, if you can set a time block, give me a call. Be glad to help.
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:22 pm

SO.... Did the suspension get put in?? My sleeves and gussets are all welded in, paint is drying. The axle is still out of the Jeep so still have a bit of work to do.
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Got it in yesterday, he just had to tightened up some & check it out. No one got hurt, nothing got broke (though did have to fire up the chain saw Smile ) so it was a success.
Small learning curve, but all's well that ends well
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Chain Saw?? Interesting... Any day you use a chain saw is probably a pretty good day...

I about burn down my garage. I was sitting on the floor welding the sleeve ends when I forgot there was a rag soaked with WD-40 under the axle.... Yup finished the welded looked down there was a 2 foot flame coming up at me that I didn't see until I flipped up my welding helmet! Luckly my diff cover was right there so I threw in there and took it out side. (Welding gloves are really good to have on when things suddenly burst into flames!)
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down