Colorado Trail Runs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moab this spring

5 posters

Go down

Moab this spring Empty Moab this spring

Post by coluke Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Looking to setup a Moab Trip for this spring. Just seeing what would be realistic for every one?? Probably a 3 day trip. I figure if we plan something early we can get time off, save some $$ ect.

Let me know when your interested or if you have dates in mind.

Possibly considering getting a group together for EJS, I've never been. But I am thinking it might be better to just go when its not packed!

Also I got screwed out of a canyon lands back country permit (Government Shut Down) so they owe me one and just sent me a form that basically gives me priority for 2014. I am thinking of doing a 2 day trip on the White Rim or Doing Elephant hill, camping out in Devils Kitchen (Amazing) and going out through bobby's hole. But I am open for anything.
coluke
coluke

http://www.cotrailruns.com

Back to top Go down

Moab this spring Empty Re: Moab this spring

Post by Dankiswess Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:15 pm

All sounds like fun! I was thinking of doing the same thing as far as Moab in the Spring. I've never been and I'm due a good vacation. Smile
Dankiswess
Dankiswess

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:00 pm

If you've never been, be carefully it will take your jeep addiction to a whole new level!!
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankiswess Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:15 pm

I've done a fair amount to it already! I know there's a whole lot more that I can/want to do!
Dankiswess
Dankiswess

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Of course we're in. Kind of mixed feelings on EJS: crowded, expensive & having to wait in long lines to wheel - but also have heard that everyone should do it at least once.
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dankiswess Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:33 am

As far as planning and what's going to be run, I will yield to the more experienced folks. I'm just excited to take a vacation and go play in the rocks! Very Happy
Dankiswess
Dankiswess

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Walt,

I feel the same about EJS... Really I'd just like to go to see the vendor display ect... Not sure about this year though if I go it's going to explore some more!
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by BFYTW Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 am

Guys if u haven't done EJS it's a must. I'm serious. Its spring break for jeeps. the vendors deal is worth the trip alone. I've been two years running and the wife and I both love it.

As far as long lines and Wheeling, Walt, we don't pay and join the EJS groups on trails. Yes they move like snails in long trains. Not fun (you've seen how me and Kyle like to jeep. Hit it and quit it we gotta go)

If you go to the sponser website they post the trails being ran each day and staging areas, weeks in advance. We plan our days Wheeling AROUND EJS groups and go on trails they aren't running. No long lines but you will still see others out doing the same. Meanwhile when your in town its sensory overload of cool ass rigs. Plus Jeep has their booth with concept rigs etc..

Last year we scored like 8 free t shirts, three bags full of key chains, cozies, hats and u name it.

In closing, if you couldn't already guess the family and I are going in the spring but it will most definitely be for EJS. Until then my rig is out of commission for modification and prep for spring.
BFYTW
BFYTW

Back to top Go down

Post by fuffl Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:58 am

Hi All,

We'll be in Moab on the 19th and wanted to do a trail...but also aren't keen on the long lines of EJS. If we could get a few rigs lined up on here, it would be preferred.

We're thinking a moderate trail. We're mostly stock on 33s.

Thoughts?

fuffl

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 am

19th of February?
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:39 am

April - Easter Jeep Safari
We're game.
I'll compile a list of possible trails that aren't being done by EJS that day.
Here is the trails they are officially doing the 19th

3-D
Behind the Rocks
Behind the Rocks Tip-Toe
Cameo Cliffs
Chicken Corners
Cliffhanger
Copper Ridge
Crystal Geyser
Day Canyon Point
Dome Plateau
Fins and Things
Flat Iron Mesa
Gold Bar Rim
Golden Spike, Where Eagles Dare
HellRoaring Rim
Hells Revenge
Hotel Rock
Jax Trax
Kane Creek Canyon
Metal Masher
Moab Rim
Poison Spider Mesa
Porcupine Rim
Pritchett Canyon
Rose Garden Hill
Secret Spire
Seven Mile Rim
Steel Bender
Top of the World
Wipe-Out Hill
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by BFYTW Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Yeah. Saturday is (19th) is the official last day of EJS. They do this huge parade of jeeps out of town in all 4 directions early out headed to trails. Unfortunately it's also the day they tie up the most trails of the whole week.  Wifey and I have decided to make it a short trip this year. We will be arriving around noon Thursday 17th and heading home Saturday 19th after a trail day. Undecided on trails at this time. I would like to hit Moab Rim Thursday afternoon if anyone is interested. Friday morning I think we are hitting the vendor show and jeep booth. Maybe an easy trail Friday afternoon or possible night run Friday night. Saturday will be an all day thing. Problem will be...... What trail?????  I'll be watching to see what you guys come up with.

Edit: Kyle and I had discussed going way out to Elephant Hill. I noticed its one of the few not listed for Saturday. May be where we end up. It just sucks cause it's a bit of a drive.
BFYTW
BFYTW

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Elephant hill is a fun trail, lots to see and do out there, confluence/slot canyon. It is a drive. It maybe to late, but I still have my permit to use up and could get a site reserved in Devils Kitchen. As long as I can get out there I would be up for Thursday run. What about Vendor show first thing Friday then head to elephant hill? I just checked and there is one site left in Devils Kitchen on the Elephant hill trail.  I can snag it if you guys are interested? Only thing I don't like about it is no camp fires/no pets, but the place is amazing.  Just throwing out some ideas.

Are you guys planning on camping or hotel?

I'm picking up one of these this weekend (actually found a used one, in Colorado), so I am camping  Very Happy 
Moab this spring Jkrearquarter_large

Lucas
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by BFYTW Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:13 am

Def plan on fairgrounds Friday morning but otherwise loose on what trails when. No go on tent camping. My wife may be from Mississippi but her idea of roughing it is a Howard Johnson. IF we do tent camp it has to be next to a bath house. Plus we will have our furry friend. I didn't think about that with Elephant Hill. So looks like I won't be going out that way at all. Bummer. I would love to do Moab Rim. Maybe an afternoon run on that one. Not a long trail but technical I'm told.
BFYTW
BFYTW

Back to top Go down

Post by fuffl Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Will be doing tent camping Friday and Saturday nights. Have the furry friend along as well. Planning on having to find a site at least 40 minutes away each night.

Also, coluke...that thing is awesome! Where can I score one of those?!

fuffl

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:01 pm

Any idea of good places to camp? Something some what quiet? I have heard the Sand Flats area gets pretty out of control. I know there is some nice spots out by the Top of the World trail head.

BFTW, did you get a hotel yet? My wife doesn't usually go out in the Jeep, and isn't thrilled about camping. I might try and convince her to go, a hotel room might be needed to seal the deal.

Ursa Minor Vehicles makes the top, they also make the JK Habitat. They only make a handful each year and I was very, very lucky to find a used one, I am even more lucky to find one in Denver, and even more lucky the person selling it wants my hardtop, otherwise I couldn't afford to buy a new one.
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by BFYTW Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 am

No we haven't nailed down a place yet, but honestly this is the third year we have went and we have been able to find a place to stay no problem last two years. We usually go with a cabin at campground instead of hotel room. Prices are pretty stupid that week. I did tell the wife just the other night after posting she needed to get on booking us something.
BFYTW
BFYTW

Back to top Go down

Post by fuffl Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:03 am

There are 11 campgrounds along 128 between I-70 and Moab. Those closest to town will be full, but with a 30 minute drive you'll have options.

fuffl

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 am

I lucked out with work... I'm off the 16-19th. I'm in for sure
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by BFYTW Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:16 pm

fuffl wrote:There are 11 campgrounds along 128 between I-70 and Moab. Those closest to town will be full, but with a 30 minute drive you'll have options.

coluke wrote:I lucked out with work... I'm off the 16-19th. I'm in for sure

So the wife and I have lucked out once again, third year running. Everyone continuously talks about how u can't find anywhere to stay. Booked a tent spot today at OK campground in town. Wife not tickled about tent camping but have bathhouses right there and not out in the boonies. We actually found a couple places in town with tent spots available today. Luke, glad to know you will be able to make it. Let me know where u end up staying.
BFYTW
BFYTW

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 pm

BFYTW wrote:
fuffl wrote:There are 11 campgrounds along 128 between I-70 and Moab. Those closest to town will be full, but with a 30 minute drive you'll have options.

coluke wrote:I lucked out with work... I'm off the 16-19th. I'm in for sure

So the wife and I have lucked out once again, third year running. Everyone continuously talks about how u can't find anywhere to stay. Booked a tent spot today at OK campground in town.  Wife not tickled about tent camping but have bathhouses right there and not out in the boonies.  We actually found a couple places in town with tent spots available today.  Luke, glad to know you will be able to make it. Let me know where u end up staying.  

I will see if I can get a spot at OK Campground since I would prefer to camp anyways, what are their rates?
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by BFYTW Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:36 am

Idk. Didn't ask, ha. Wife got it and I said great. Looks like we are gonna check out jeep booth Thursday, set up camp. Chill out. Have fun. Friday morning hit the show hard and see how much freebies I can score this year. Hopefully find a deal on new rubber. Then hit a trail after lunch Friday. I'm thinking maybe strike ravine or minor threat if I can get someone to hit it with me. Saturday I'm reeeeeaaaallly wanting to do Pritchett canyon or Moab rim but I'm fine with any trail I haven't already done. Hell I'm fine just sitting and having a beer as long as I'm at EJS. Smile
BFYTW
BFYTW

Back to top Go down

Post by fuffl Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 pm

Pritchett Canyon might be a little much for our Jeep. We were thinking about Deadman Point or Elephant Hill.

fuffl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down