Colorado Trail Runs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

White Rim Trail Run 11/22

4 posters

Go down

White Rim Trail Run 11/22 Empty White Rim Trail Run 11/22

Post by coluke Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:32 pm

White Rim Trail Run Report

Upload Photos here: Upload Photos

View Photos: View Photos
coluke
coluke

http://www.cotrailruns.com

Back to top Go down

White Rim Trail Run 11/22 Empty Re: White Rim Trail Run 11/22

Post by coluke Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:46 pm

Awesome trail, not the most difficult, but plenty of climbing on shelf roads with tight turns to keep you on your toes. There was never a boring view at any moment. I would say my favorite part was the second day with a lot more climbs, sand washes, and some narrow canyons to go through.

The weather cooperated for the most part all though there was a bit of wind and a dusting of snow over night.

We had some set backs and got into camp a little late. And it left things a little rushed. I look forward to running this trail again in the spring, probably taking 3 days instead of two so there is more time to explore this huge area. Thanks to all those that went with, and hopefully those that didn't make this trip will go on the next one to this area!

coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:44 am

Wow! Awesome pictures Lucas. I can't get enough of Moab. Wish we could have made it.
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:02 am

Pics loaded, will add video later when I figure how to rotate them 90 degrees.
Fun awesome trail.
My neighbor in the YJ definitely had his share of problems, starting with his fuel system issue that caused him to stall out (having to pour gas into his carb) on much of an up angle. Then near Gouseberry his rear driveshaft blew up, which led to much towing, some of it scary of the switchbacks. Then on one of the switchbacks he blew a bead on one of his front tires.
But we all got off the trail safe and intact. But it doesn't end there, on the way home his front axle broke 5 miles from the Colorado line, they didn't get home until 3 Monday morn .

I definitely going to do this again, but with the wife.

Moab is GRRREAT
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Walt wrote: But it doesn't end there, on the way home his front axle broke 5 miles from the Colorado line, they didn't get home until 3 Monday morn.

OUCH! Shocked If it was my Jeep, I would have pulled the front drive shaft in Moab, used the U-Joints ends on the rear shaft, and used a driveshaft strap from the front to replace his missing one on the back. Cool

I would still trade him damage, my estimate for my bashed rocker pane incident was nearly 3 grand..... Shocked Thank goodness for good insurance that IS taking care of it! Rock sliders will go on immediately after its fixed. Still don't know how I hit that stupid rock on the road, there was plenty of room and I didn't even drive over it!
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoojk Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Great pics guys. Had a great time. Can't wait for the next adventure

Tough luck with the YJ... I honestly can't believe it made it to Moab let alone finished the trail honestly. Definitely not the place to " test" the jeep for the first time. I agree with Luke.. I would have at least ran over to napa and grabbed some new u-joints None the less.. Sucks to break down in the cold

And $3k!! Sheesh!!! It adds up quickly. I bet I would have hit the same rock if you hadn't warned me! Let me know if I can help you out at all. I think after the weekend I might go with plated all-pro sliders and skip the flat step style I had previously wanted.

voodoojk

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 pm

What went on the YJ on the trip home was his transfer case. I'm not that knowledgeable in this area but I guess who had it before him had lifted it (he downsized to smaller tires) didn't do the right stuff in the transfer case (something about the yoke) to compensate for the increased angle. I guess this is also what caused the drive-shaft to go.
He's still glad he went and he enjoyed himself, he just regrets being a drag on the rest of the party. He has a good attitude. What's the saying "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
I'll help him fix it to get myself better educated
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoojk Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Walt wrote:What went on the YJ on the trip home was his transfer case. I'm not that knowledgeable in this area but I guess who had it before him had lifted it (he downsized to smaller tires) didn't do the right stuff in the transfer case (something about the yoke) to compensate for the increased angle. I guess this is also what caused the drive-shaft to go.
He's still glad he went and he enjoyed himself, he just regrets being a drag on the rest of the party. He has a good attitude. What's the saying "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
I'll help him fix it to get myself better educated

Sounds like he needs a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) if he has NP231 transfer case. Basically... His drive shaft slips into the transfer case. The SYE kit eliminates the slip in and replaces it with a fixed yoke that uses u joints. This prevents a lifted jeeps drive shaft from falling out. JK's have this from the factory.

voodoojk

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:39 am

I installed a SYE in my TJ back in 05. It's pretty simple. He will need a new drive shaft as well as the SYE kit.
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:44 am

Tom woods is a pretty good place to order a driveshaft.
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by voodoojk Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:20 am

I think Rustys even has a complete kit that has the SYE that includes a new drive shaft.

voodoojk

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:37 am

Yes, many others as well. It's a very popular upgrade to belly up or just get rid of that TC drop and those pesky vibrations.
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:43 am

Here is my driveshaft combo in my TJ. Can't believe how short they are.  And another of my TJ

White Rim Trail Run 11/22 DSCN0116
White Rim Trail Run 11/22 DSCN0128
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Walt, when/if you guys tackle a SYE kit make sure you have a good set of snap ring pliers. Also if he wants a quick/cheap fix he can do a T-Case drop. The kits are cheap, or you can make them your self by stacking washers to drop the T-Case belly an inch or so to help correct the increased angle.

http://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-transfer-case-yj-tj-183051.html?utm_content=XT+Driveline+-+Other%7CRugged+Ridge&utm_campaign=TJ-YJ%20-%20Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=&XTID=J21471
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:57 pm

That's what I did at first but I never could get rid of the vibration.
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Walt,

I also saw that one of the drive shaft straps was missing a bolt when it happened, are you sure that was not the cause of losing the drive shaft in the first place? I am willing to bet the T-Case went because all the fluid drained out of it when the shaft was removed.

While you would get some vibrations from a steep drive shaft angle It shouldn't be enough to grenade a T-Case, just a U-Joint on occasion.

Last edited by coluke on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I can't spell)
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Onlyone Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:27 pm

I tend to agree with Lucas. A bad vibration would take a while. It usually grenades the u joint first.
Onlyone
Onlyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Walt Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:18 am

Well I'm pretty uneducated on the details of it all, I know the purpose of the differentials, transfer case and drive shaft but not what the yoke is and how it all fits together ect,
My neighbor is going by what others have said as to it coming apart, he acknowledges the transfer case was from the fluid leaking out. He's got another transfer case, just needs a drive shaft now.
He had a good time with no great regrets, learned a lot. I feel guilty I didn't follow him home, won't happen again. Looking forward to wheelin it again
Walt
Walt

Back to top Go down

Post by coluke Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Swapping the T-Case is pretty straight forward, undo the front drive shaft, take out the 4-5 bolts that connects it to the trans and drop the skid plate holding it, a few cuss words, some wiggling, and its out!

Also I think his drive shaft was OK, just needs a new U-Joint on the end and he should be good to go.

I do not have tons of free time, but when you guys tackle it let me know when and I can see if I can escape from work/home to lend a hand.

Lucas
coluke
coluke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down